Monday, January 02, 2012

Belacan Kang Kung with Minced Pork and Dried Shrimps

This is my first time cooking kangkung at home, I love kangkung and when I go to Thai restaurant I always order their spicy crispy pork with kangkung.
At first, I thought belacan=sambal so I ask my hubby to buy belacan.
Who knows its different, so well I have to use belacan even though I have never use belacan before!

And guess what, everything just come out tasty and it was a great dish after all.
I also topped with some minced pork because my hubby always want some meat or else he wont feel full and satisfied.
Ingredients:
2 x bunch Kangkung
2 tsp of chopped garlic
30g dried shrimp
150g of minced pork (optional and can be ommited)
35-45g of belacan paste
chilli paste / chillisauce / dried chilli / fresh chopped red chilli (optional)
2 tsp of soy sauce
salt
sugar
pepper
1 tbsp white vinegar
water
crispy shallot (for garnish & optional)

How to:

(a) I pan fried the minced pork first with some salt, soy sauce, pepper and sugar. Set aside on a plate for later use.
(b) Over a hot pan with some oil, I fried the garlic first until the aroma comes out then followed by dried shrimp for 1 minute until the shrimp looks golden in colour and crispy.
(c) Then, add in the kangkung and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add in pepper, bit of salt and sugar.
(d) I soften the belacan paste with some hot water and then pour it over the kangkung, you have to do this approximately but I am using around 35g of belacan paste. Just adjust the amount, add in more water if the base is too dry.
(e) Add in the chilli paste (adjusted according to personal preference) and around 1 tbsp white vinegar, stir fry it for another 2-3 minutes.
(f) Have a taste on the sauce, if its salty enough then its ready, if not add a bit more salt/belacan. Add some water if its too salty and a bit of white vinegar.
(g) Sprinkle over the cooked minced pork and garnish with some shallot, dinner served and enjoy it with a bowl of rice!
It is really nice to have this with a bowl of steam rice, as the belacan taste is very rich perfect to go with rice.
You can also replace dried shrimp with prawn cutlets, the dried shrimp very is suitable to go with any belacan dish.
A bit of spiciness which comes from the chilli paste would really make this dish to be more exciting and appetising!
No matter you like spicy or not, just put a bit of chilli paste in this dish, it gonna taste  really great.
Now I know to use belacan and what should it be used on hehehehehehehe

Glad that my hubby like this and I will make this more often because I love kangkung so much ^^

1 comment:

lena said...

A very happy new year to you, Daphne! over here too, i used belachan to stir fry my kangkong, it's just as tasty! I'm glad to hear that you tried and like the loh mai chee. Wishing you a healthy and a joyful year 2012! Cheers!